The complete circuit of Manaslu (8163m) over the the Larke Pass is getting more and more popular as a new trekking destination. It still sees relatively few trekkers however compared to the established trekking routes.
The Manaslu trek begins either in the town of Arughat Bazaar or Gorkha Bazaar and ends in Besisahar, which is also the starting point for the Annapurna circuit.
EveryTrail – Find the best hikes in Nepal and beyond
It’s a beautiful trek, with spectacular views of the Manaslu and going through authentic Hindu and Tibetan-style villages. You start low, walking through green countryside, and passing small Hindu villages. Heading northwards, the valley opens up to reveal delightful alpine meadows and small Tibetan-style villages which cluster beneath Manaslu’s sweeping North Face. Eventually the trail reaches Samagaon, the largest and most important village in the region. From here you head west and cross the Larke Pass (5160 m), a classic and tough route linking the Buri Gandaki with the Marsyangdi valley. The descent passes through beautiful alpine meadows at Bimtang, before joining the main Annapurna Circuit route and heading to the trailhead at Besi Sahar.
The itinerary below is one of the many possibilities, the trek can be longer or shorter, depending on the length of your walking days. There are basic guesthouses all along the trail, so you can choose if you want to camp or stay at the teahouses/guesthouses.
12-18 depending on itinerary
Arughat Bazaar / Gorkha Bazaar
Trekking Permit Manaslu, Manaslu Conservation Area, Annapurna Conservation Area
- Day 1 Kathmandu-Arugath (550 m) 7 hrs bus/jeep ; 1 ½ more by jeep to Soti Khola (597 m)
- Day 2 Soti Khola (597 m)- Machhakhola (825 m) 6 hrs
- Day 3 Machhakhola (825 m)- Jagat (1330 m) 7-8 hrs
- Day 4 Jagat (1330 m)- Deng (1860 m) 6-7 hrs
- Day 5 Deng (1860 m)- Namrung (2580 m) 6-7 hrs
- Day 6 Namrung (2580 m)-Samagaon (3480 m) 6 hrs
- Day 7 Restday Samagaon (3480 m); acclimatization walk to Birendra Tal and eventually to Manaslu Base Camp (4400 m)
- Day 8 Samagaon (3480 m)-Samdo (3865 m) 3-3 ½ hrs
- Day 9 Samdo (3865 m)- Dharmasala/Larke Phedi (4470 m) 3-3 ½ hrs
- Day 10 Dharmasala/Larke Phedi (4470 m)-Bimtang (3740 m) 8-12 hrs walk via Larkya La (5125 m) (time depending on shape and weather conditions)
- Day 11 Bimtang (3740 m)- Tiliche (2255 m) 6 hrs
- Day 12 Tiliche (2255 m)-Chyamche
- Day 13 Chyamche-Ngadi Bazar 6 hrs
- Day 14 Ngadi Bazar-Besisahar 4 hrs, bus to Kathmandu 6-7 hrs