GHT Dolpa Section, Phoksundo Lake Trek
This is a side trip from the GHT, going northwards to Phoksundo Lake. This lake is so beautiful; it would be a shame to leave it aside.
Trekking in Dolpa is a unique experience. You walk through beautiful landscapes, passing through pine forests alongside wild rivers with views to beautiful snowcapped mountains. The Phoksundo Lake is clearly of an incomparable beauty. It’s deep blue and emerald colors are enchanting. In Ringmo, the village close to the lake, you can experience Bonpo culture, based on a century old religion which is a mystique mixture of Buddhism and animistic believes.
Teahouse/camping There are (basic) guesthouses all along the trail, so you don’t need to camp
Trekking Permit Lower Dolpa (US$ 10 per week)
- Day 1 Flight Kathmandu-Nepalgunj To get to Dolpa, generally you have to fly to Nepalgunj first. Nepalgunj is a steaming hot city in South Western Nepal, in the lowlands of Terai, close to the Indian border, which is just 8 km away. Culturally the area more resemble India than upland Nepal. Take a cycle rikshaw for a ride in town. You pass the hustle and bustle of the bazaar and see horse carts full of colorful people going to or coming from the Indian border. The Bageshowri temple is one of Nepal’s most important Hindu temples and is worth a visit as well.
- Day 2 Flight Nepalgunj-Juphal (2475 m), walk to Chhepka (2838 m) 6 hrs
- Day 3 Chhepka (2838 m) to Chunuwar/Amchi Hospital (3130 m) 6 hrs
- Day 4 Chunuwar/Amchi Hospital (3130 m) to Ringmo/Phoksundo Lake (3608 m) 3 hrs
- Day 5 Ringmo/Phoksundo Lake (3608 m) to Chunuwar (3130 m) 2 hrs
- Day 6 Chunuwar (3130 m) to Sangta (2470 m) or Kageni (2228 m) 6-7 hrs
- Day 7 Kageni (2228 m)-Liku (2405 m) 6 hrs (continuing GHT) or to Juphal (2475 m) 4-5 hrs
- Day 8 Flight Juphal-Nepalgunj-Kathmandu