Arun Valley & Makalu Base Camp trek
The Makalu Barun National Park offers some of the most spectacular scenery in the Himalayas. The rewards of trekking here are great, but hard won – it’s remote, wilderness country and for the experienced trekker.
The trail to Makalu base camp takes you deep into the high Himalaya and while the giant of Makalu, The Great Black, looms above you, Everest, Lhotse and Baruntse are all in view. The verdant Arun and Barun river valleys lead to the Makalu Basecamp.
The trail starts in Tumlingtar and is either ascending or descending, there are really no flat walking sections, which makes for quite arduous trekking. However, the natural surroundings are stunning. The upper reaches of the trail resemble the Yosemite Valley – towering polished granite cliffs capped by hanging glaciers, overflowing with waterfalls.
“Breathtaking—it made you stop, I was in awe, the landscape was just that dynamic,” says Robbie Klimek, a Makalu summiteer from USA, who trekked to the mountain in 2010.
Of the lower reaches of the trail, renowned for their lushness, he says: “It was so rich. The rhododendron forests had the most vibrant colours I’ve ever seen – from scarlet and fuchsia to the purest white. It is prettiest hike I’ve done in a long time.”
Makalu Base Camp Jamie McGuinness Project Himalaya
Spring and autumn
- Day 1 Flight to Tumlingtar and trek to isolated teahouse
- Day 2 Trek to Num 1200m 4-6 hours, Tea-house
- Day 3 Trek decent to Dovan & cross Arun river & trek to Simma village 1300m 5 -6 hours, Tea-house
- Day 4 Trek to Yakuwa (Ekuwa) 2300m 4-5 hours, Tea-house or tent
- Day 5 half day hike to isolated Tea-house or campsite 3-4 hrs
- Day 6 Trek to Buje 1900m 5 hours, Tent camp
- Day 7 Trek to Dap 3000m 5 -6 hours, Tent camp
- Day 8 Trek to Baule Pokhari, 4000m 6-7 hours, Tent camp
- Day 9 Trek to Yangle Kharka 3600m 5 -6 hours, Tent or Tea-house
- Day 10 Trek to Merek 4570m 5– 6 hours, Tent or Tea-house
- Day 11 Trek to Shersong 4660m 5– 6 hours, Tent or Tea-house
- Day 12 Trek to Makalu Base Camp, 5000m 2 -3 hours, Tent camp
- Day 13 after early morning climb, Back to Shersong 4660m 3- 5 hours, Tent or Tea-house Early morning climb to view point at 5250m from there you can see a close view of Mt. Everest 8848m , Lhotse & Lhotse Shar 8501m. There many other peaks can be seen including Mt. Kanchenjunga 8585m.
- Day 14 Trek back to Yangle Kharka 5 -6 hours, Tent or Tea-house
- Day 15 Trek to Thulo Pokhari 4000m 6-7 hours, Tent or Tea-house
- Day 16 Trek to Tashigoan 2070m 6-7 hours, Tent or Tea-house
- Day 17 Trek to Seduwa 620m descent 1540m 5-6 hours, Tent or Tea-house
- Day 18 Trek to Num Kapdane 1500m 5-6 hours, Tent or Tea-house
- Day 19 Trek to Kapdane, Tea-house
- Day 20 Morning flight to Kathmandu, 1 hour, Hotel