There are several books on trans-Himalaya travel and adventure which are worth reading. Those include: “Running the Himalayas” by Adrian and Richard Crane; “Breaking Trail” by Arlene Blum. There is of course the pictorial coffee table book of Robin Boustead’s GHT journey through the Nepal Himalaya (cover shown below) which is available from 16th October 2009.
Cover jacket from “A pictorial guide to the great Himalaya Trail” – click to download a PDF version (1.5MB)
This stunning book will show you places you never dreamed still existed. Nepal is the most mountainous country on earth and hides many secrets in a maze of remote valleys where small communities have lived unchanged for hundreds of years. Folklore and superstition are woven into everyday life to create some of the most mysterious and magical places on the planet. The GHT crosses every one of Nepal’s mighty mountain ranges through forests, jungles, over passes and glaciers, and across windswept plateaus.
Delight in photos from the first expedition to trek and map the Great Himalaya Trail in Nepal: the majesty of Mount Everest, the barren villages of upper Dolpo, lush rhododendron forests in Kanchenjunga and Makalu, ancient Buddhist gompas in Mustang, and village festivals throughout the country.
This pictorial guide is a record of a 162 day extreme trek along the Nepal Himalaya. The expedition has now established the Great Himalaya Trail (GHT) in Nepal, and the first section of the longest and highest walking route in the world. In this guide are details of how the popular trekking routes are linked with new trekking areas, as well as:
- Over 150,000 metres of ascent and descent profiles with walking times.
- Pictures of every 8,000 metre peak in Nepal.
- 12 detailed colour maps of Nepal and every trekking region.
- 145 colour pictures including 3 fold-out panoramas.
- The first inter-linked series of trekking maps for every mountain region.
- showing the GHT and connecting major trails.
- Information about each ethnic group you meet along the trail.
- Hardcover or softcover options available